• Open to participants of all nationalities. Former first prizewinners of previous CIPAF Competition are not eligible to compete in the same division.
• Age Divisions (as of July 30, 2020):
• A: 9 and under
• B: 10-12
• C: 13-15
• D: 16-18
• E: 19-35
• Teacher: 22 and above
• Piano Duo/Duet 1: 15 and under
• Piano Duo/Duet 2: 16 and above
• Audition repertoire: Submit weblinks on WORD file, or DVD recordings. Must include at least two contrasting solo piano works. Single movements from a multi-movement work are acceptable.
• Competition Repertoire:
o Divisions A and B: at least one solo piano work.
o Divisions C, D, E: at least two contrasting solo piano works.
o Teacher Division: at least one solo piano work.
o Piano Duo/Duet Division: at least one piano work for piano duo or duet.
o Single movements from a multi-movement work are acceptable.
• Competition time limits:
o Divisions A and B: 5 minutes
o Divisions C, D and E: 12 minutes
o Teacher Division: 10 minutes
o Piano Duo/Duet 1: 5 minutes
o Piano Duo/Duet 2: 10 minutes
o Performance will be stopped if it exceeds the time limit but will not affect the evaluation.
• All pieces must be performed from memory, except for the Piano Duo/Duet Division.
• Repertoire for Audition and Competition can be repeated or different.
PRIZES & AWARDS
Prizes (Each Division)
Grand Prize, plus Gold Medal. Invitation to perform at the 2022 CIPAF Concert Series, and concerts in the U.S. and Asia.
• Superior Prize, plus Silver Medal.
• Excellence Prize, plus Bronze Medal.
• Honorable Mention: Certificates
• Teacher Award (teachers of the Prize Winners): Certificates
Cash Awards (Each Division for Grand, Superior and Excellence Prizes)
• Division A: $250; $150; $100
• Division B:$250; $150; $100
• Division C: $500; $250; $150
• Division D: $800; $400; $200
• Division E: $1000; $500; $250
• Teacher Division: $500; $250; $150
• Piano Duo/Duet 1: $200; $100; $50
• Piano Duo/Duet 2: $500; $250; $150
The judges and CIPA director reserve the right to all final decisions regarding competition results and the awarding of prizes.
Grand Prize Winners of Divisions C, D and E will receive the following performance invitations:
• Performance in the 2022 CIPAF Concert Series
• Performances in China (Beijing, Tianjin, Shenzhen)
• Performances in Korea (Seoul)
• Performance in Washington D.C.
Travel to and from the performance location is the performer’s responsibility. Local housing and transportation will be provided by hosting organization.